Landing Zone Lectures
Safety begins from the very beginning and that includes securing a safe landing zone (LZ) for our helicopters. Our healthcare partners can arrange for a Landing Zone Lecture, offering continuing education credit, while enhancing safety and familiarity with our helicopter. Note: Multiple department/agency lectures are encouraged to reduce outreach costs. In order to arrange for a landing zone lecture, please complete the on-line registration request . A business development associate will contact you at the number listed on the registration to arrange for a landing zone lecture.
CLICK HERE to request a Landing Zone Lecture for your location
Landing Zone Setup
- LZ area should be free of obstructions. Eliminate these hazards:
- Wires (surrounding the landing area and High Tension power lines within 1/2 mile)
- Towers (TV, Radio, Cellular within 1/2 mile)
- Signs and Poles
- LZ area should be 100' X 100' if possible.
- LZ should have as little of a slope as possible (less than 5 degrees).
- LZ area should be a hard surface (concrete, asphalt, gravel, lawns, etc.).
- LZ corners should be marked with highly visible devices (cones, flairs, strobes).
- No debris on landing surface and within 100' of landing area.
- Land the helicopter(s) a safe distance from the scene/patient.
- Never point bright lights directly at the aircraft!
- Maintain security of LZ while helicopter is present.
Landing Zone Briefing
- Type of LZ surface and size
- How LZ is marked (cones, flairs, strobes, etc.)
- All noted obstructions (see list above)
- Never assume flight crew will see a hazard!
- Never approach the helicopter unless directed by the flight crew!